Communication & Advocacy Officer at Plan International
Communication & Advocacy Officer at Plan International. As a matter of fact, Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication & Advocacy Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Under the general guidance of the Country Communications Advisor and with support from the Emergency Response Manager, the Communications officer will be responsible for implementing the approved Plan International Nigeria integrated communications in emergency strategy.
Dimensions of the Role:
- The position will oversee the production of key and high quality offline and online multi-media communications resources that secure coverage in support of Plan International’s emergency work in Nigeria.
- Also, This will help raise the profile of Plan International’s work nationally and internationally, in support of advocacy and fundraising goals while positioning Plan International to interact with key audiences and to promote the respect for children’s rights and welfare.
Strategy Implementation and Enhancement:
- Lead the development and implementation of an integrated communications strategy and operating plan aligned to organizational priorities for outreach, income and impact.
- Also, Build and manage a high-performance communications function that is structured, focused and staffed for productive and quality work in emergency work.
- Also, Monitor the context for challenges, risks, threats and opportunities related to the emergency context that may impact communications and public engagement approaches, messaging and operations.
- Support regular production of situation reports
- Liaise with country emergency response teams and Lake Chad communications team to create, receive and compile relevant materials for emergency response information and communication in a timely manner.
- Also, Ensure Plan International’s rights- based programming approach and child protection policy are appropriately reflected in the emergency communication strategy, work plan and products.
- Also, Oversee the management of the communications and guest relations department budget and resources.
- Ensure brand visibility, adherence to procedures, protocols and policies.
- Also, Support High Profile/VIP visits to the organization to create, maintain and enhance the reputation and goodwill of the organization.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of our communications work.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- First of all, A first degree/HND or Masters in Communications studies or Social Sciences
- At least 5 years’ experience working on communications or media for NGO or in journalism especially in emergency settings.
- Also, Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate complicated and technical issues in a concise and clear way, to a wide range of target audiences
- Also, Demonstrated experience of the key responsibilities, including working with media, delivering
- Communications strategies, managing internal communications, knowledge of digital media, and creating networks
- A track record of achieving results and strategic impact on communications and media and in building capacity for teams to deliver
- Also, Must show demonstrable impact in using communications as a tool for social change
- Also, Sound political judgement and risk management
- Strong understanding of the international humanitarian community, preferably experience working with/in coalitions of other INGOs and the UN.
- Also, Knowledge of information management in conflict situation.
- Demonstrated and considerable experience of working with international media, communications or public relations roles
- Finally, Fluency in English and Hausa languages
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, including ability to find, absorb, analyse and prioritise information from many different sources, and proven experience of strategy development
- Also, Ability to work in a volatile and, at times, insecure environment, under pressure, to tight deadlines, with competing priorities and minimal supervision
- Also, Ability to travel – sometimes at short notice
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Also, Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work in multi-national, multi-cultural teams.
- Computer literate and well versed in basic software (Word, Internet Explorer, Excel, etc).
Application Closing Date
21st June, 2019.
Method of Application
Furthermore, Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online