Laboratory Supervisor at British American Tobacco Nigeria
Laboratory Supervisor at British American Tobacco Nigeria. Supervisor at British American Tobacco Nigeria. British American Tobacco is all about freedom of choice – whether it’s our people or our products. Combined with our entrepreneurial spirit, it’s what’s driven our phenomenal success. We started trading tobacco over a hundred years ago.
Today, we’re a multibillion dollar company with more than 200 brands in our portfolio. With robust positions in each of our regional markets, our future looks equally bright too.
Job Title: Laboratory Supervisor
Job Number: 1404
Appointment Type: Permanent
- As a Chemical Laboratory Supervisor, you will have a vital role to play in continually evaluating and monitoring product quality to ensure product specification is maintained and compliance to established Regulations which are increasingly evolving. This will require proactiveness in identifying any method obsolescence and escalating any non-conformance for management decision making.
- There will be the expectance to support the Factory Quality Assurance Manager in ensuring that the relevant Global Analytical Methodologies, ISO Standards and BAT procedures are properly applied in the analysis of tobacco, tobacco smoke and non-tobacco materials used in the construction and packaging of cigarettes.
- Offering support to the the manager in maintaining a multi-skilled, well-trained work-group within the laboratory is a must. You will at all times strive to maintain the Highest Standard of Operation as demanded by the company.
- To develop, implement and maintain procedures, test methods, calibration and maintenance in compliance with ISO and Global Analytical requirements.
- Lead work of routine chemical analyses, requested researches, Global Proficiencies studies and Regional cross-checks according to BAT Standards.
- Provide information or conduct monthly meetings with Product Improvement, Quality Assurance to discuss compliance of smoking characteristics of a product to requirements of the specification and the legislation.
- Ensure compliance with BAT EHS guidelines for all departmental representatives engaged in all laboratory activities.
- Ensure operational ability of chemical laboratory and that all Laboratory equipment (Linear Smoke Machine, Gas Chromatograph, Continuous Flow Analyzer and Reference Standards) are calibrated, maintained and used in a proper manner – daily & monthly.
- Control of records, including hardcopies available, and that all non-conforming results are properly investigated and communicated.
- Carry out revision of procedures, methods, instructions, to assure correctness of their application on a regular basis.
- Tertiary qualifications in Science Field with Chemistry as a major study area.
- Computer literacy to the level of proficient use of Microsoft office applications.
- Knowledge and experience of software for the control of analytical instruments.
- Knowledge in ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 17025 requirements.
- Have a sound troubleshooting analytical skills and problem-solving tools.
- Basic Project management skills.
- Understanding of elements making cigarettes and factor that can influence product quality and smoke to be able to translate laboratory results.
- Knowledge of SAP system.
- Understanding of Corporate and ISO Quality Management Systems.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills and good communication (verbally and in writing) to translate analytical results.
- Evidence in leadership capabilities and ability to motivate and engage with internal and external bodies.
- At least 3 years’ experience in chemical laboratory environment with at least a GC equipment.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online