Malaria Technical Advisor at the Management Sciences for Health
Malaria Technical Advisor at the Management Sciences for Health. Vacancy available for a Malaria Technical Advisor at the Management Sciences for Health. Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
Job Title: Malaria Technical Advisor
Job ID: 13-10105
Dept/Unit: GEN (General)
Project/Program: A000 – None Specified
Reports To: Chief of Party
- MSH seeks candidates for the position of Senior Malaria Technical Advisor for the USAID-funded U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative for States project.
- The goal of the project is to support the Government of Nigeria to deliver high quality malaria services in public and private health facilities and build capacity of stakeholders at the LGA, state, and national level to develop and implement effective policy that will lead to malaria control and elimination.
- The Strengthening Delivery of Malaria Case Management (SDMCM) Project will act as a resource and a catalyst to the MoH and state teams to help achieve the targets and goals agreed upon within the National Strategic Plan for Malaria 2014-2020. The project will focus at the state level primarily on improving service delivery of high quality prevention, diagnosis, and treatment commodities for malaria services.
- At state and national level the project will strengthen health systems and the governance of NMEP and SMEP members to effectively coordinate and roll out cross cutting areas of improvements to the health information system and advocacy, communication and social mobilization for malaria.
- The Senior Malaria Technical Advisor is a member of the senior leadership team and will support the IDIQ at the central level and liaise with state teams to ensure quality technical service is provided to task orders as needed.
- Will be instrumental in the design, development, and management of malaria initiatives and will provide the technical and strategic leadership to stakeholders at every level of the health system.
- Collaborate with SDMCM senior management team to oversee the implementation of program activities at the federal level and subnational levels.
- Participate in the development and monitoring of the annual work plan and work closely with the COP to ensure that departmental work plans are implemented and monitored on quarterly basis.
- Assist the COP in in overseeing the quality of reporting to USAID and MOH.
- Serve as Acting COP as appropriate and perform other duties as assigned by the COP.
- Collaborate with the Chief of Party, Director of Finance and Operations, and State Team Director and the MSH Headquarters to allocate and utilize project resources in the most efficient way and ensure effective technical, budgeting and financial management.
Vision and Technical Strategy:
- Support health policy reform initiatives and processes at the NMEP and SMEP to increase efficiencies and decrease the MoH’s reliance on externally funded consultants.
- Oversee improvements to coordination and harmonization at the national level and more effective service delivery at sub-national levels for malaria services focused on prevention and case management. Develop the scale-up of mentoring and supportive supervision programs at all levels of the health system as it relates to malaria control.
- Offer guidance for public sector institutional development practices.
- Develop strategies to increase sensitivity to gender equity and female empowerment; accountable for ensuring that gender and capacity development activities are integrated into all project activities.
- Coordinate the project’s work with the private sector.
- Coordinate all consortium partners’ Technical Advisors and their supporting staff in country and globally.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Public Health (preferred PhD or MD equivalent), infectious diseases focused on malaria or other vector borne illnesses.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in managing and implementing complex health care service programs.
- In developing countries in a senior management position. (Previous Deputy Chief of Party or Technical Director Experience preferred.) Understanding of US Government policies and procedures, or of other donors, is a plus.
- Experience in developing policy and harmonized approaches in a highly diverse population.
- Strong communication skill to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online