Programme Associate at the United Nations
Programme Associate at the United Nations. Vacancy available for a Programme Associate at the United Nations. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes.
We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Job Title: Programme Associate
Position Number: 10010391
Location: FCT Abuja
Grade: GS – 6
Duration of Contract: 1 Year
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Context, Duties and Responsibilities
- The incumbent normally receives guidance from the Senior Programme Officer in the Country Office. He/she may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country programme(s). UNHCR Manual, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Programme Associate. S/he is expected to stay abreast of the challenges posed to the region by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer the incumbent shall carry out the responsibilities below:
- Assist in negotiating agreements with implementing partners and ensure that IP agreements are established in conformity with UNHCR’s financial rules and the latest Headquarters’ instructions.
- Undertake proper collection, monitoring and use of baselines, standards and indicators needed to measure and analyze Programme performance, trends and target interventions.
- Review the implementation and performance of IPs agreements through appropriate physical monitoring to evaluate the projects by reviewing work plans, progress reports, budget, financial reports and expenditures; undertake field visits as required.
- Use UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Global Focus, Focus Client) to assess the technical soundness of the operation and generate data for evidence-based decisions at the country-level.
- Assist in keeping donor representatives briefed on developments and assist in the development of funding submissions, appeals and reports.
- Assist in ensuring compliance in issuance of audit certificates for Implementing Partners.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of Secondary education and post-secondary training/ certificate in Business Administration, Social Science, International Law or related field
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function
- Computer skills (in MS office)
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirables Qualifications & Competencies:
- Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position
- Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, procedures and processes
- Knowledge of UNHCR specific programmes (MSRP, Focus, etc.)
- Prior exposure to UNHCR refugee operations and functions relating to office administration and programme activities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office package tools(emphasis on MS Excel).