Assistant Lecturer (English & Literacy) at Coal City University
Assistant Lecturer (English & Literacy) at Coal City University. Vacancy available for a Assistant Lecturer (English & Literacy) at Coal City University
Job Title: Assistant Lecturer (English & Literacy)
- This job is responsible for preparing and teaching a wide variety of English & Literacy courses that make up the portion of the English major, as well as advising English majors towards academic and life success.
- In the absence of the Senior Lecturer, he/she shall act.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate and/or postgraduate courses delivered by the Department and, as required, to teach on associated programmes offered by the School.
- To undertake research, either as an individual or with colleagues, of a level and quality that will result in regular publication in internationally – rated English and Literacy journals.
- To undertake appropriate course and course material development.
- Undertake administrative duties as directed by the Head of Department.
- Represent the Department at conferences and seminars.
- Promote the image and reputation of the Department and School in the wider academic and business community.
- The post holder may be required to undertake such other duties commensurate with the nature and level of the post as directed by the Head of Department.
- A good Master’s Degree in the relevant field
- Continued Professional development
- Professional teaching qualification- minimum of Nigerian Certificate in Education (NCE), Post-Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE), Nigerian Teachers’ Institute (NTI), Teachers’ Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN) or its equivalent is mandatory.
- NYSC discharge certificate/certificate of exemption is mandatory.
- Candidate must hold at least three (3) years of teaching post-doctoral teaching, research and administrative experience in a recognised University.
- Evidence of scholarly publications in both local and international reputable learned journals, plus membership of relevant professional bodies where required.
- Proven experience of leadership and management appropriate to an international higher education environment.
- Record of managing diverse resources in higher education or a similar environment
- Evidence of successful innovation in managing and developing academic programmes
- Must have a good knowledge of University tradition and demonstrate the right attitude towards innovative practices in leadership, operations, teaching, learning and research.
- Computer literate and knowledge of the application of ICT in a University.
- Be of proven managerial skill, able to utilise available human and material resources efficiently and effectively, to achieve set University goals and objectives.
- Must be assertive, friendly, cooperative, flexible, tactful, dependable and logical – work in a collaborative manner with multiple offices.
- Ability to create, articulate, and assess course learning outcomes
- Effectiveness in creating course materials (syllabus, hand-outs, presentations, etc.), which enhance student interest and engagement.
- Inspirational leadership and management skills, including a commitment to high performance and continuous improvement.
- Ability to create and manage effective grading rubrics for consistent and uniform grading results.
- Ability to assess student educational goals and to crate graduation plans based on those goals.
- Excellent motivational and team-building skills.
- Demonstrate problem solving and abstract thinking skills
- Ability to produce high quality work while working independently.
- Ability to meet required attendance and submission deadlines.
- Possess good leadership qualities, such as decisiveness, openness, fairness, leading by examples, working as team leader and encouraging participation in decision-making.
- A person of good health, pleasant disposition, charitable manners, unassailable integrity and strong moral character.
- The candidate must be firm and fair in decision-making and MUST FOLLOW DUE PROCESS in taking decisions.
- A person of good conduct, possessing sense of discipline, dedication, drive, resourcefulness and ability to command respect and loyalty of the members of staff and the students of the College.
- A creative and innovative approach to problem solving.
- He/she should articulate and ensure the enforcement of the University’s laws and regulations.
- An engaging and convincing speaker capable of enthusing listeners
- He/she must be a leader who by his pedigree is likely to command the respect and loyalty of both staff and students of the University.
Application Closing Date
28th September, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in PDF format to: email@example.com
CV and Cover Letter should take into account the duties and responsibilities, person specification, skills and attributes of the position being applied for.
The subject of the email should be the role you are applying for. For EXAMPLE: (Job Position – Department)
Only qualified candidates who meet the criteria above will be shortlisted.
Candidates who fail to follow the application instructions will be disqualified