Project Accountant @ European Centre for Election Support
European Partnership for Democracy is a network of European civil and political society organizations working on democracy assistance. European Partnership for Democracy advocates for a stronger presence of democracy support on the European Union’s agenda and facilitates the exchange of knowledge and best practices in democratic transformations around the world. Furthermore, the other partners are : Club de Madrid, Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy, DEMO Finland, Eastern European Studies Centre, People in Need, Universidade Catolica Portugesa, European Association for Local Democracy, Elbarlament, AWEPA, Netherlands Helsinki Committee, One World, Westminster Foundation for Democracy and the French Media Cooperation Agency.
Vacancy Reference Number;
- Enhancing the capacities of the INEC and other electoral stakeholders to deliver effectively;
- Strengthening INEC’s strategic planning, policy framework and operational capacity;
- Enhancing INEC’s internal communication and strengthening the institutional mechanisms to engage with stakeholders. The design of the EU-SDGN project was undertaken in close cooperation with all relevant electoral stakeholders in Nigeria, taking into account the findings and recommendations of the latest EU EOM, as well as INEC internal review and report on the 2015 general elections. Furthermore, the project is built upon European Response to Electoral Cycle Support Strategy.
- You need to Work in close collaboration with the Administration, Finance and Operation Manager t to oversee the establishment and proper maintenance of the finance and accounts in accordance with ECES and donor’s financial rules and procedures
- You have to Support the Administration, Finance and Operation Manager and the Administration and Finance Assistant in project budget monitoring and revision;
- Contribute to annual and periodic project’s budget plans
- Daily maintain the finances journal (Cash and Bank books)
- Receive invoices and check that all supporting documentations are provided
- Operate the module LOGISTICS of ECES ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software;
- Prepare, implement and review the funding of the budget and actual annual cash flows and ensure adequate follow up;
- Maintain petty cash transactions, including writing receipts, preparing payment request forms, and disbursement of cash and clearance of advances;
- Under the supervision and upon approval of the Administration, Finance and Operation Manager, operate banking transactions related to the project, including preparing bank transfer requests, submitting them to the bank, monitoring transfers and preparing monthly bank reconciliation statements and reporting;
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts and maintain records on file;
- Prepare periodic statement of expenditure reports and fund replenishment requests, carefully checking and inspecting all supporting documents;
- Contribute to the use and maintenance of the project accounting information system;
- Contribute to the preparation of external financial audits and project financial reports;
- Monitor and ensure expenditure of project funding is made in accordance with Project SoP and Donor’s procedures;
- Ensure that documentation relating to payments are duly approved;
- Report any actual or potential financial issues to the Administration, Finance and Operation
- Manager and the Administration and Finance Assistant;
- Continuously improve systems & procedures to enhance internal controls to satisfy audit
- Maintain an inventory file to support purchases of all equipment/assets;
- Assist the Project Director and the Administration, Finance and Operation Manager on demand.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the ECES;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ECES’ values and ethical standards.
Competency and Skill Requirements:
- Good knowledge of administrative and accounting regulation and procedures;
- Experience in management of EU funding and in particular knowledge of basic rules and procedures for contracts defined in the Practical Guide to Contract Procedures for European Union External Actions (PRAG)
- Experience in ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Ability to prioritize work, multi-task and meet deadlines;
- Sound analytical judgment;
- Ability to work with results-orientation and efficiency in a multi-tasking environment;
- Strong planning skills;
- Flexibility, responsibility, integrity, team work, self-motivated, preparedness to work off-time;
- Good computer skills in common word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (MS Excel), and accounting software;
- Ability to perform effectively under high pressure, hardship conditions and long working hours.